Welcome to Directorate General of Nursing and Midwifery (DGNM)
The DGNM has similar responsibilities in terms of executive authority to other Directorates under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). The DNS is a member of most policy-making committees at national level relating to health services and education within the public sector.
The DGNM is one of the four current Directorates within the MoHFW. It is the highest body for managing the overall administration of public sector nursing services and education in Bangladesh. Its main responsibilities are:
HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE DIRECTORATE OF NURSING SERVICES
In 1949 a group of nurses were sent to England for basic training, on return they were posted in leadership positions in the Nursing Services section. In 1950 the then Government offered fellowships to nurses for studying abroad. The World Health Organization (WHO) provided technical assistance on nursing in 1952, and as a result nursing educational programmes were upgraded.
The East Pakistan Nursing Council was fully constituted in 1952 as a regulatory body for nursing education and services. After liberation it was renamed as the Bangladesh Nursing Council (BNC). In 1956 the College of Nursing was established in Karachi to offer post-basic diploma in administration and teaching. A few nurses were sent from then East Pakistan to Karachi to attend those programmes. Later on selected nurses were sent to take BSc and MSc degrees from Boston University, USA, under a USAID fellowship programme.
In 1960 the junior nursing training schools were abolished and in between 1962 & 1970 the senior nursing training schools were established and attached to 8 (eight) Medical College Hospitals to provide Diplomas in Nursing and Midwifery. The College of Nursing, Mohakhali, Dhaka was also established in 1970 to offer post-basic Diploma in Administration and Teaching. During 1970-71 more senior nursing schools were established and attached to 12 District Hospitals and started crash programmes without having any sanctioned posts for Sister Tutors, physical facilities and teaching-learning resources. The students, teachers and the teaching-learning resources had to be borrowed from other schools/institutes to start functioning. However, the number of nurses increased from 50 in 1947 to 600 in 1970.
Post-liberation (since 1971):
After liberation, the number of hospitals, medical colleges, nursing schools and institutions, as well as doctors, nurses and other health workers were increased to meet growing health service demands in the new nation. Prior to creation of the current Directorate of Nursing Services, the former Director of Health Services (what is now the DGHS) managed nursing education and services under a relatively junior Superintendent of Nurses. It was not possible at that time for the former Director of Health Services to give due and equal attention to both the nursing and medical sub-sectors. Consequently, national requirements for nursing education and services were delayed in being fully presented to the MoHFW. As a result, on 14th of May 1977 the current DNS was established under the MoHFW with a responsibility to:
Since 1977, the DNS has been the central government body to manage public sector nursing education and services, constituting a significant force in the health care delivery system, congruent with national health goals (G.O. No: P-II/1C-18/77/391, dated 14/5/1977).
আলম আরা বেগম...
জুন ২০১৯ (চলমান)